Thursday 24 January 2013

Dead Can Dance - Royal Albert Hall, London, UK - 26.10.2012 (Cam Mix Version DL DVD)







I've been receiving a lot of requests for this DVD, some here it is. Huge Thanks to everyone involved in making it.

OriginalInfo File:

EagleDog Productions Presents
In Association with Aion Group Productions:

Dead Can Dance - `At The RAH` (EagleDog Productions DVD-23)
Live at the Royal Albert Hall, London
October 26, 2012
audience PAL video recording / 2Cam mix version
Double-layer PAL DVD, cover art by Jaraslesny
Menus and chapters included (menu music is a sample from the recently uploaded Geneva FM show, thanks to finkployd49 for recording that!)
Quality A

Camera 1, post-production and authoring by Lamb79
(Lineage: Panasonic HDC-SD5 --> Sony Vegas 10.0 for base footage & multicam mix)

Camera 2 `Bootsy`
(Lineage: unknown camera --> DVD bought through YouTube --> Sony Vegas 10.0 for base footage)

Audio recording by Ian Macdonald
(Factory-matched pair of Schoeps CCM 41V microphones (DINa mounted) --> Marantz PMD661 recorder with Oade Concert Mod -18 dB gain/44.1 kHz/24 bit WAV)

Well, where should I start? Maybe to say, Merry Xmas :)

This is my first ever multicam. To be fair, can a 2cam mix to be called multicam?

I have filmed Brendan Perry several times during his 2010 tour in Europe, few of those have seen the light of the day on Dime (Galway, London and Utrecht). Last time I had the chance to speak to him (at the Utrecht gig), I asked the question if I could get his permission to film Dead Can Dance at some point but he somehow dodged the answer so for obvious reasons, I had to go stealth on this one. I did film the Tangerine Dream gig at the venue in 2010 so I knew what to expect- it reflected on the choice of the tickets.

I planned this gig as the usual one-man operation with filming although previously mentioned to my good friend IanMacd (most of you probably know him from from Dime already) that I'll might be needing his audio. He was kind enough to provide me with the unedited audio file (same as he uploaded but without slicing up to tracks http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=426159).
What I didn't know was that the known filmer and bootleg seller, Bootsy will be attending. After a pointer, I found out the he did film the show as well. After seeing the Youtube link provided, I tried to deal with the guy to get his HD files but negotiations were cut short. I wanted to make this one a Blu-ray, but my PC probably couldn't get through with one before so stayed as a DVD, then HD files were not necessary. A new friend, Antonio has bought the DVD version and provided me with a copy.

About this DVD - editing took around 3 days, I didn't touch the audio at all, only syncronised it. Luckily the two cams have similar atributes when it comes to color, my one (on the left) picked up a bit more lights while Bootsy's (on the right) picked up more movement in the dark. Bootsy's source had several problems: 1, he probably wanted close-ups so his one is handheld, but filmed form close by. 2, There are minor shakes but lots of zooming, when close-ups are nice, they are wondeful! 3. He missed around the first 2 minutes from the show, also the first song was completely useless (Children Of The Sun) so the real 2cam mix begins from the second song, Anabasis. 4, Most of the time when he was zooming, he did it so fast it made my eyes funny.
My filming is the static-type- I focused my cam on the stage, put it down and only touched it inbetween songs (well, most of the time). I was sitting farer from the stage though but I got very good shots of the whole stage, sometimes even closer.

It might sounds ideal to you to mix a closer and a farer source, but since I wanted to make the footage and it's transitions to be as smooth as possible, I had to make the editing a bit slow. In the sample provided, you'll see what I mean. I think it is still looking very-very good, also to my knowledge this is the first audience mix footage of Dead Can Dance :)

Because the second cam for this project was bought, I early on made a decision- in every second song, a little marking is there on the top-right corner (free fan-made dvd, never buy or sell) for 8-10 seconds. I have seen many of EagleDog's DVDs for sale (even pressed on silver disc!) and since I had a problem regarding this with an artist recently, I want to make sure I did everything to avoid this. But I also made sure that it does not interrupt the enjoyement of the concert itself.

I wish I could work on more recordings like this one. Not just for the band or the performance, but in general it was a great experience.

Special thanx to:
Ian Macdonald, Jaraslesny, Antonio and all of you in the Aion Discussion Group. It was great to see many of you on this tour- next year we'll repeat that I hope!

Enjoy!
Lamb79

Setlist:

01. Children Of The Sun
02. Anabasis
03. Rakim
04. Kiko
05. Lamma Bada
06. Agape
07. Amnesia
08. Sanvean
09. Nierika
10. Opium
11. The Host Of Seraphim
12. Ime Prezakias
13. Now We Are Free
14. All In Good Time
15. The Ubiquitous Mr. Lovegrove
16. Dreams Made Flesh
17. Song To The Siren
18. Return Of The She-King
19. Rising Of The Moon

RAH2MIX

No comments:

Post a Comment