Saturday 23 December 2017

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Pavilhão Carlos Lopes, Lisbon, Portugal - 16.12.1988 (Flac)




One of my fondest memories :) HUGE Thanks to everubody involved in making this recording avaiable.


Original Info:

29th Anniversary release!!


Tender Prey tour, 1st leg - Europe
The band was playing for the first time in Portugal.

taper: Ana
source: mini tape recorder (Sony?) > Sony UX-S90 cassette
transfer: master tape > Arrela Portable Cassette player > USB > PC (Audacity) > wav
general mastering (ZH) - removed static discharge clicks appeared during digitizing process / reduce tape and player noise (DeNoise app); patch between tracks 3-4.
editing, cleaning, retracking (inez) - iZotope Rx > Audacity > flac 16/44.1


Editor notes:
I am uber happy to be able to get out this historic document of the first Nick show in Portugal on the 29th anniversary of the gig. This was recorded by my friend Ana who I e-met in one of Nick facebook fan groups - and she mentioned this - her FIRST EVER tape. OK, has everyone pictured a 20-year old girl with a tape recorder at a Nick Cave show in 1988? Exactly. I donÕt think there were many! Anyways - she kindly transferred the tape (actually, I think her son did!) last year in response to my nagging :-) and sent me the wav. Also included are photos of the tape and some photos she took at the show.

There were two stumbles: something went wrong with the tape recorder at the end of From Her To Eternity - beginning of Your Funeral My Trial. By some CRAZY twist of fate, I acquired ANOTHER - lossy and Ôlineage-freeÕ recording of the show - and my friend ZH kindly and seamlessly patched the gap using that other tape. The other stumble is the unavoidable flip tape - it happens to be in the middle of KnockinÕ On Joe - canÕt patch that one since those other folks were flipping their tape at the same time Lol

With respect to the quality, from my description, you can gather this is not your Ôrefined listening experienceÕ - you kinda feel like you are in the midst of it all. ItÕs pretty mad :) Some guy whistles a lot (and I removed quite a bit of his whistling), there are screams and cheers and occasional sing/scream-alongs (removed some of those too!) and itÕs loud and unruly :) I am happy Ana transferred the tape because I think it may begin to deteriorate soon. But this is an amazing relic - so Nick collectors are probably going to be quite happy to have this!
Enjoy - happy anniversary! 


setlist

01 intro
02 I'm Gonna Kill That Woman (John Lee Hooker cover)
03 From Her to Eternity *
04 Your Funeral... My Trial *
05 Deanna
06 Long Time Man (Tim Rose cover) - some audience exchanges after the song Lol
07 Jack's Shadow
08 Mercy
09 The Mercy Seat
10 Knockin' on Joe - tape-flip in the middle
11 City of Refuge
12 The  Singer (Johnny Cash cover)
13 By the Time I Get to Phoenix (Jimmy Webb cover)
14 Sugar Sugar Sugar
15 Black Betty
16 New Morning > tuning
17 Saint Huck

* - 2 min filled from a lossy source of unclear lineage

total time 1 h 25 min 15 sec

Line up: Nick Cave, Mick Harvey, Blixa Bargeld, Thomas Wydler, Kid Congo Powers and Roland Wolf.

**Please support the artists!! Buy their official releases and go see them live**
**Please do not share in lossy formats and never sell!!**



2 comments:

  1. awesome. very excited to listen to this. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was indeed an amazing night, just spectacular.
    Ana

    ReplyDelete