Monday 31 March 2014

Magazine - Definitive Daze (Flac)



Excellent compilation, thanks to the original uploader,

Original Info File:

Magazine Pre Real Life Demos &
Live Electric Circus, Manchester 2 Nov 77 SBD

Lineage:
2nd Gen Cassette(Off Master Reel)->PC via Cool Edit Pro(Very Slight Hiss Reduction)->WAV-FLAC->DIME

Tracks:

1. Shot By Both Sides
2. Sandwiches (Early Version Of My Mind Ain't So Open)
3. The Light Pours Out Of Me
4. Motorcade
5. Touch And Go
6. Burst
7. Shot By Both Sides
8. The Light Pours Out Of Me
9. I Love You, You Big Dummy


Tracks 1-6 Demos recorded at Pennine Sound Studios, Oldham September 1977

Personel:
Vocals-Howard Devoto
Guitar-John McGeogh
Bass-Barry Adamson
Drums-Martin Jackson
Keyboards-Bob Dickinson


Tracks 7-9 are mono & recorded Live The Electric Circus, Collyhurst, Manchester 2 November 1977
The bands 2nd gig.

Personel:
As for above demos but Dave Formula replaced Bob Dickinson on keyboards

What can I say? This band were phenominal and these early recordings were given to me
by Martin Jackson (Bless you for that, Martin), who I was friendly with for a number of years through to his
Swing Out Sister days. He then relocated and went onto other things. Oh, how we used to laugh...
Anyway, The demos are just that, a raw but controlled run through of material that ended up on their first 'CLASSIC' album,
'Real Life'. The live tracks were recorded at THE club in Manchester that was the home of most of
the early punk activity. The recording was made with a view to having one track included on the
10" vinly album 'Short Circuit:Live At The Elctric Circus' but for one reason or another none of
the tracks made it. For those of you who may not remember the album culled tracks by The Fall,
Joy Division when they were know as Warsaw, Buzzcocks, the brillliant John Coope Clarke, Steel
Pulse and The Drones recorded over the final weekend that the club was open. I am a little dubious
of the date of the recording as on the tape Martin gave me it was clearly written that it was
2nd Nov 1977. But I have seen reference to the album that states that it was October. Anyone with
definite confirmation of which is correct please let me know. I believe it to be the November gig
as Magazine played their first gig in October(28th I think) and their Electric Circus gig was
definitely after that. On the tape he gave me was also the first Peel Session which I have not included
here as it has been officially released on the stunning box set 'Maybe It's Right To Be Nervous Now'.

The quality is pretty good and I'm sure you will enjoy it. I did some artwork but the back cover does contain info
on the first Peel session that I put on my own disc as it was on the orig tape. Maybe you can still use it or rework one.

Share & spread the magic to the uninitiated.


VghkZMoso3A8

1 comment:

  1. Thank you to you and to floppy boot stomp blog !
    Ray

    ReplyDelete