Tuesday 25 March 2014

RE-UPLOAD: The Rose Of Avalanche - Rehearsal - 1985 (Flac)



Thanks to Egg_Crisis for another great one.

I'm listing this as 1985 as that's what it's always been traded as since I got the tape in 1987.  I've got a feeling it might be earlier though...

They used a drum machine until Mark Thompson joined the group in April'86 and I feel that this recording is earlier than this.  I'm thinking maybe late 1984/early 1985 and that they might have done some rehearsals with a real drummer which would therefore have to have been someone else and not Mark Thompson.

If this was April'86 (and if it's Mark Thompson on drums it can be no earlier) then it seems very strange for them to be playing a whole bunch of covers and songs that never made it to their live repertoire, and they sound so rough and unpolished which seems unlikely if it's 1986.  I'm thinking this is more likely to be from the very early stages of the band before they started gigging.  Suggestions & ideas please?

I've managed to identify two of the songs as covers.  After owning the tape for a few years(!) I realised track 8 was a cover of the Stones' Sympathy For The Devil.  Just the day after I encoded this I was googling fragments of lyrics I could make out and discovered track two was a cover of The Changeling by The Doors.  I haven't a clue about the other six but I suspect some of them might be covers also.  Track 7 sounds a bit Bauhaus-ish to my ears.

Whereas tracks 1-8 are probably recorded on a simple tape recorder plonked on the floor of the rehearsal room (and I think someone moved the tape recorder between tracks 4 & 5 as the quality improves very slightly), track 9 is a rehearsal or maybe even a studio recording, and in good stereo too!  I compared that track with the officially released version of too Many Castles just to make sure it wasn't the same version but they're different.

cassette(from record fair late'87[Memorex dB series 60]) > wav > soundforge(tidying up*) > CDWave > split on sector boundaries > flac(6)

*normalise L&R channels, tidying up a few clicks, repairing some dropouts, no processing except for some noise reduction on the opening 10 seconds of studio chatter/closing 3 seconds of the last track with Adobe Audition as the hiss was quite noticeable during that part.
Track 7 was split over 2 sides of the tape.  When I tried joining the 2 parts together I noticed the same phrase repeated just before and just after the split, so did an edit to join the two halves seamlessly, losing about 2 seconds of audio (the join is at 3:16 in track 7).  However: the repeated part wasn't an overlap but a repetition of the same verse later in the song so a portion of the song which was missing on my tape might exist in other copies.
This is the same fileset I uploaded to Dime a few years ago so if you already have that you don't need to download this.



Venue: Presumably a rehearsal room in Leeds?

1. (I Got My Own Real Love)
2. The Changeling (The Doors cover)
3. (Beyond Your Love)
4. (Son Of The Father)
5. (I Can Hear The Rain)
6. (The Stranger)
7. (Translucent Maze)
8. Sympathy For The Devil (Rolling Stones cover)
SONG TITLES IN BRACKETS ARE MY GUESS AND NOT NECESSARILY THE CORRECT TITLE!  SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!

Rehearsal/Studio 1985
9. Too Many Castles In The Sky

Length - 40:12

Lineup:
Phil Morris - vocals
Paul James Berry - guitar
Alan Davis - bass
unknown drummer, but possibly Mark Thompson
Additionally, probably on track 9: Glenn Schultz - guitar [joined early (April/May?) 1985]


Uploaded by Egg_Crisis for Dark Circle Room
Convert to mp3 for personal use only. Do not circulate in FLAC or WAV format without this info file.



cmqD_JBvFmXzPnBVPI2lmdM

No comments:

Post a Comment