Tuesday, 26 January 2016
RE-UPLOAD: Love & Rockets - Roxy Theater, Hollywood, CA, USA - 09.05.1999 (Flac)
The second-to-"last" Love & Rockets show. Thanks to judgesmails for sharing this one on DIME.
Sound quality: A-
audience recording > 2nd generation cassette received in trade > recorded to hard drive > fades added and tracks separated using Cool Edit > burned to CD > extracted from CD using iTunes > FLAC > you!
** confirmed as lossless using EAC **
Love & Rockets had made a formal announcement that they would be disbanding after their two Hollywood shows at the end of the "Lift" tour, so the band and crowd were all well aware of the significance of these concerts.
In fact both shows were professionally recorded for an intended live album, but some dirtbag managed to steal the recordings of both performances after the end of the second show. Luckily there was an audience recording made during both performances, and I was able to get 2nd generation cassette copies of each show shortly thereafter.
The setlist for both shows was the same as in San Francisco (May 6 - previously torrented). That show has better sound quality, but these shows have reasonably good sound quality as well and both are worth having for their historical significance. The crowd is noisy at times, but their enthusiasm is entirely appropriate and I can forgive all of their noise aside from the woman who keeps shouting "Daniel Ash, I love you, you have beautiful eyes!" That person is embarassing and annoying, but thankfully she only makes an appearance on the May 10 recording.
- "Kundalini Express" is cut short - it was that way on the cassette that I received, and I believe that the cut is original to the master recording.
- Janes Addiction drummer and vocal L&R fan Stephen Perkins joins the band for 3 songs during the encores.
1. My Drug
2. RIP 20C
3. 20th Century Boy (T. Rex cover)
4. Holy Fool
5. Delicious Ocean
6. Deep Deep Down
7. Pink Flamingo
8. Party's Not Over
9. Kundalini Express (cut short - likely due to tape running out)
10. Mirror People (slow / fast version)
11. Space Oddity intro. / Yin & Yang (the Flowerpot Man) **
12. 2000 Light Years From Home (Rolling Stones cover) **
13. Ball of Confusion **
14. No New Tale to Tell
** featuring Stephen Perkins from Janes Addiction on additional drums