Monday 20 January 2014

The Pixies - Coliseu, Lisboa, Portugal - 09.11.2013 (Flac)


Taper: circle
Recording Gear: Sony MZ-RH10 HiMD with Sony Stereo Mic ECM-MS907
Position: Center, packed inside the crowd.
Lineage: MD -> Audacity -> TLH -> Flac (Level 8)

Recording Notes:

Some things just aren't meant to be.

I had decided to not go to this concert, but at lunch time, a friend phones me saying he has an extra ticket to give away... The Pixies for free??? Sure!

One minor problem - I'm working in a city 100 Kms away, and only finish a couple of hours before the opening of the doors... Seems possible.

Second minor problem - my recording gear is at home, in another city in the oposite direction... I make the conscious decision of missing the support act As Able As Kane, and instead lose that time going home to get the gear.

Third minor problem - I seem to have misplaced my prefered microphone... After losing 20 minutes searching, I decide to take the secondary mic, that I don't use for at least two years.

Fourth minor problem - The Coliseu it's in the center of the city, and even getting there in time, parking is impossible at that time if night, I manage to find a spot, far away, and walk 10 minutes to the venue, arriving at the end of the second song of the Pixies set. Not bad, the recording will be a little incomplete.

Fifth minor problem - the venue is packed with over excited fans, but I mean over excited... (you'll listen during the recording) I manage to push myself into a more or less central spot, hardly the best conditions to tape, setup the gear while I'm being slam danced around and start recording.

Sixth Not so minor problem - Everything seems to go OK, but during Here Comes Your Man, the already over excited crowd, goes bananas!!!
All around me, people are jumping, yelling and kicking and in the midlle of all that, my MD is elbowed in such a violent manner that the batery pack loses connection and stops the recording... I only notice it at the end of the song. The abrupt ending doesn't allow the MD to write the lead out, so everything recorded until then is gone.

Seventh big problem - The battery pack connections are making a bad contact from then on, so the recording stops abruptly three more time during the concert, always with the same result, recording lost.

So what was left?

The last song and the encore... And the expense of a new battery pack.

I should've known already by the age of 42 that nothing is for free in this world...

There's a photo of the set list, courtesy of another friend of mine that managed to get it from the sound engineer, so you can see what is not on the recording.

Tracklist:

01. Where Is My Mind
02. (encore break)
03. Hey
04. Caribou
05. Gouge Away

Do Not Sell!
Support the artists.
Enjoy.


 TPixLisb13.rar

No comments:

Post a Comment