Monday 31 March 2014

RE-UPLOAD: Tropic Of Cancer - The Echo, Los Angeles, CA (Including Soundcheck) - 12.02.2012 (Flac)



Huge Thanks to bcingyou for sharing his recording. Another one of my favourite new bands.

Audience recording by bcingyou 8 feet back from center stage.
Microtrack II + ECM 990-F> WAV(44.1/16 bit)> CD Wave Editor tracksplit>
Traders Little Helper> FLAC level 8

Original Info File:

Opener for Weekend and Grimble Grumble at Part Time Punks' annual My Bloody Valentine Nite. Tropic Of Cancer hail from Los Angeles' shadowy underground venturing out on this evening to display their dark and somber soundscapes. Michael Stock who organized this event asked each band to cover a My Bloody Valentine song and I can't figure out which song in set is a cover though singer announces song two in set as "this is our version of...' and I can't make out the title. This song and final song of set are, for me, their strongest songs of the night though all are growers.
I arrived early to see who I could catch soundchecking through the side door of the club before being allowed entrance. Some dark electronic dance beats caught my attention and I enjoyed portions of what was to be half of Tropic Of Cancer's set. A nice warm-up for my hungry downbeat appetitite. Check out their bandcamp page: http://tropicofcancer.bandcamp.com/track/a-color. While waiting in line after soundcheck a strikingly attired woman cut in front of me to be with her friend. Turns out she was the bass player/keyboardist who is pictured in laced veil with mirror on above link. What's confusing is that Tropic of Cancer on stage are only two gals: the veiled one and who I assume is Camella Lobo (pictured in link with guy) on vocals/keys/guitar whereas the bandcamp page indicates Camella and Juan Mendez. Maybe Juan programmed the rhythms on the Korg? Camella's vocals were drenched in reverb and indecipherable but fit the sound which is what you might imagine The Soft Moon being like at 16rpm or on quaaludes. The bass player's unflinching deadpan expression should land her a job working as a greeter in Disneyland's Haunted Mansion. The star of their show was the ever present fog machine rolling in at precise intervals to allow them a chance to blink unseen.

Attached are a few pictures of their performance.

Apparently their very limited records are hot stuff on discogs: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Tropic+Of+Cancer

Please be aware that my mic picks up a lot of bass and therefore this recording is best heard loud on quality speakers which can replicate a live sound.



SOUNDCHECK:
_01 Lose My Breath (My Bloody Valentine cover)
_02 Lose My Breath (MBV)
_03
_04
_05 Temporal Vessels
_06

GIG:
01
02 Lose My Breath(MBV)
03 Temporal Vessels
04
05
06 A Color
07
08



npkZUZ1iuWQ

No comments:

Post a Comment